Shelley of Atticus Finch, New Zealand has such a shop that oozes delightful recycled creations meant to encourage play and imagination in your little one's wardrobe. I love all the different textiles and fabric patterns sewn together in such a way that makes each piece truly unique and special. One can tell that so much love and creativity was infused into every article of clothing that is sure to become a timeless, heirloom keepsake.
1. How do you define art?
art is a creative expression that comes from the soul.
2. How would you describe your art?
very tactile, I focus mainly on things I can sew , and use only recycled and / or vintage textiles.
3. Name three adjectives that describe your artistic point of view.
whimsical , magical ,imaginative.
4. Who has most personally influenced and inspired you as an artist?
there is no one particular person , but I admire Japanese arts and crafters.
5. Has your artistic sensibility changed since you first began?
i am a lot more relaxed about the things I make , now.
6. What inspires your art?
wonderful old ,textiles and trimmings, old storybooks , nature , Japanese pop culture ,comics, vintage childrens' books.
7. .Do you have a favorite artist from another field?
I adore kay nielsens illustrations.
8. Who is your favorite competitor from your field?
no one in particular.
9. Do you have any occupation hazards or mishaps?
losing bits of material , making big messes, feeling frazzled because I have limited time to make things and so many ideas.
10. What did you wish you would have known when starting out?
I really wasted a lot of time trying to use an overlocker/serger when I was making clothes for my children when they were little.
now I know I DON"T need one of these exasperating contraptions.
11. What is your favorite item currently for sale in your shop?
I like my wee tumtum ted.
12. Who is your favorite author? What was your favorite book as a child?
so very hard to have only one favourite ... I read a lot of books ... here is a shortish list of authors I have enjoyed reading lately ,
carlos ruiz zafon.
a childhood favourite was dr.suess and any fairytale books.
13. When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up?
14. Where is the farthest you have travelled?
i come from England and have lived in Australia for 13yrs. apart from small journeys around these countries and new Zealand I haven't travelled much. I always wanted to see the pyramids.
15. Which musician or musical group inspires you the most? What was your favorite childhood song?
I am very lucky to have a husband who collects old vinyl , and enjoys playing music throughout the house every day. we listen to a diverse range of music , from classical to 70's rock , modern to vintage blues. I've always liked the avant garde style of roxymusic. when I was young I loved the songs to spike milligans badjelly the witch that I heard on the radio.
16. Where can people find you and your art online?
you can look on my flickr site at things I make each week to top up my etsy shop and market stall.