Friday, April 4, 2014

Feature Friday: Atticus Finch, New Zealand

I was a very imaginative child who spent all day outside playing make believe or staying inside reading books all day while my friends begged me to play with them. I have built my shop around the idea of fostering a child's imagination, and I love when I come across like-minded shops that are full of whimsical, fairytale style I would love to see my own children wear.

Shelley of Atticus Finch, New Zealand has such a shop that oozes delightful recycled creations meant to encourage play and imagination in your little one's wardrobe. I love all the different textiles and fabric patterns sewn together in such a way that makes each piece truly unique and special. One can tell that so much love and creativity was infused into every article of clothing that is sure to become a timeless, heirloom keepsake.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/atticusfinchnz?ref=shopsection_shophome_leftnav
 
1. How do you define art?
art is a creative expression that comes from the soul.

2. How would you describe your art?

very tactile, I focus mainly on things I can sew , and use only recycled and / or vintage textiles.

3. Name three adjectives that describe your artistic point of view.

whimsical , magical ,imaginative.
 
https://www.etsy.com/shop/atticusfinchnz?ref=shopsection_shophome_leftnav

4. Who has most personally influenced and inspired you as an artist?

there is no one particular person , but I admire Japanese arts and crafters.

5. Has your artistic sensibility changed since you first began?

i am a lot more relaxed about the things I make , now.

6. What inspires your art?

wonderful old ,textiles and trimmings, old storybooks , nature , Japanese pop culture ,comics, vintage childrens' books.
 
https://www.etsy.com/shop/atticusfinchnz?ref=shopsection_shophome_leftnav

7. .Do you have a favorite artist from another field?

I adore kay nielsens illustrations.

8. Who is your favorite competitor from your field?

no one in particular.

9. Do you have any occupation hazards or mishaps?

losing bits of material , making big messes, feeling frazzled because I have limited time to make things and so many ideas.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/atticusfinchnz?ref=shopsection_shophome_leftnav

10. What did you wish you would have known when starting out?

I really wasted a lot of time trying to use an overlocker/serger when I was making clothes for my children when they were little.
now I know I DON"T need one of these exasperating contraptions.


11. What is your favorite item currently for sale in your shop?

I like my wee tumtum ted.

12. Who is your favorite author? What was your favorite book as a child?

so very hard to have only one favourite ... I read a lot of books ... here is a shortish list of authors I have enjoyed reading lately ,
carlos ruiz zafon.
khaled hosseini.
alastair Reynolds.
stef penney
Robert Nye.
Arnold Bennett.
carlos castanada
a childhood favourite was dr.suess and any fairytale books.


https://www.etsy.com/shop/atticusfinchnz?ref=shopsection_shophome_leftnav
 
13. When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up?
an astronaut.

14. Where is the farthest you have travelled?

i come from England and have lived in Australia for 13yrs. apart from small journeys around these countries and new Zealand I haven't travelled much. I always wanted to see the pyramids.

15. Which musician or musical group inspires you the most? What was your favorite childhood song?
I am very lucky to have a husband who collects old vinyl , and enjoys playing music throughout the house every day. we listen to a diverse range of music , from classical to 70's rock , modern to vintage blues. I've always liked the avant garde style of roxymusic. when I was young I loved the songs to spike milligans badjelly the witch that I heard on the radio.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/atticusfinchnz?ref=shopsection_shophome_leftnav

16. Where can people find you and your art online?

you can look on my flickr site at things I make each week to top up my etsy shop and market stall.
flickr.com/photos/atticusfinchnz
etsy.com/shop/atticusfinchnz

1 comment: