Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Art in the Pass Review

So the weather was not the greatest it could have been this weekend, but luckily it didn't rain at all Saturday until we were packing up to go home for the day. It was cloudy and very chilly all day though, and most of us weren't prepared for how cold it actually was. The officials came to all the booths around 3:00 and informed everyone they would be closing for Sunday because of the expected thunderstorms, which I was completely fine with because I was exhausted by that point and didn't feel like arguing. It also helped that I had already made my booth fee back in sales, so if that hadn't happened, I would probably be singing a different tune.

My sister and niece were able to make it down for the weekend and help out with the fair, so we set up a mock preview on Friday to see what the best layout and flow of traffic would be. I love my clothing racks so much better than those flimsy coat racks I used in the past that would fall over from the softest of breezes. These were so much sturdier; heavier, yes, but that is what husbands are for!

I wanted to leave in plenty of time to get there, but it always happens that you're late on these days, isn't it, no matter your good intentions. Twenty minutes later than planned, we arrive and moved quickly enough to have everything set up in plenty of time before shoppers came. It was slightly drizzly on the ride over there but stopped for the day once we arrived. There seemed to be a good crowd, so I was glad the weather wasn't a deterrent!

As much as the shoppers and lookers were prepared, we somehow missed the memo on how cold it was actually going to be. By mid-morning we had to bust out the Snuggie and any extra baby blankets that were hiding the car. Albert went on multiply Chai Tea Latte runs throughout the day, whenever we could convince Harper that she didn't need to go back to the playground with Uncle Albie!

My little live model was perfectly adorable, of course, and she seemed to enjoy herself. We created a special little nook behind the table for her to read, play games, and watch movies. I remember staying at craft fairs all day with my mom when I was little, and my sister and joked about how another generation was experiencing the excitements and exhaustions of craft fairs. 

Speaking of exhaustion, this is how we all felt by the end of the day, but only one person was able to actually nap. I made more sales than I had anticipated, and I gave out a lot of cards so I'm happy with the day. It would have been nice to have had an extra day of possible sales, but maybe next year the weather won't be so fickle!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a success! What a cute little live model you have...you both looked smashing despite the weather conditions! Good for you for getting yourself out there and making some sales!