Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Work in Progress: Mermaid Bandeau Top

This has been the coldest winter in a long time for us down in south Mississippi, and I think it has been the same for the rest of the country. Winters here are relatively mild, but it actually snowed and stuck to the ground! I mean, we're not talking enough to even make a puny little snowman, but still, I feel like we deserve a medal. I know many people up north love to hear us complain about the cold and snow because you guys deal with it on a much larger scale, but flip the seasons around and imagine living through a summer of our heat with all the mosquitos and bugs. There'd be some talk too about it, and we'd be like, "Honey, bless your heart, but lemme tell ya somethin'..."

 
I was working on the bandeau from the Mermaid Princess Inspired Purple and Teal Outfit, and it definitely made me pine a little for warmer weather. I was literally huddled under three layers of clothing while sewing this together, thinking it would be so nice to sit on the beach and soak up some sun. I am not a tanner, I don't just sit out in the sun, but imagining the warmth of the sun on my face helped me get through the outfit with cold fingers. (I also had a furry helper whose tail you can see peeking out from the bottom right of the picture.) 

 
This top has a lot to it with multiple gatherings and a dramatic bow at the back, but it is all so worth it. I love the way it comes together when everything is sewn up, and I can drape it on the mannequin and giggle at the whimsical girliness of it. I think it's the perfect example of mermaid style without revealing too much. I want my clothing to be proper and decent but still allow the little papoose wearing it to feel like a kid who can express herself and entertain her imagination!

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see it when it is finished.... and yes, it is making me wish for warmer weather here too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! I love how you want your clothing to still look decent. Can't wait to see the final result :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute, I'd love to see the end result. By the way, is that a tomato shaped pincushion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. It was my mom's when she used to sew, I actually have two of them so they're authentic vintage!

      Delete